Proposal Submission time frames for 2020 (For funding that will commence on 1 April 2021)
1. Call for proposals: Open and Directed Streams
• 14 February 2020 Deadline for submission of KSAs’, Thrust and Programmes Priorities and budgets, including terms of reference that must
be in the 2020 call for proposals
• 1 May 2020 Call for open proposals by Special Announcement on the WRC website
• 1 June 2020 Call for directed proposals and Publication of Terms of Reference (ToRs) by Special Announcement on the WRC website.
These will be accompanied by a list of thrusts and programmes (research areas) priorities to be addressed and an indication of
budgets and/ or funds available against each research area
• 15 August 2020 Deadline for submission of open and directed calls for proposals. The WRC On-line proposal submission for 2019 closes.
2. Pre-selection process: Open and Directed Proposals
• 1 – 14 August 2020 Completion of internal screening and pre-selection of proposals and nomination of reviewers
(in accordance with specific screening criteria) by the Research Manager
• 15 – 21 August 2020 KSA peer review Screening meetings: Pre-selection/ screening by KSAs and confirmation of external reviewers that
were recommended by the Research Managers
3. Planned Review and Selection process
• 22 August 2020 External reviewers are invited and the WRC proposal review process starts.
• 31 August 2020 Deadline for submission of completed external reviews to the WRC.
• 1 – 30 September 2020 Research Managers start and complete consolidation of proposal reviews and KSAs conduct internal peer review
and assessment and make recommendations to the Research and Development Branch
• 14 – 16 October 2020 Research and Development Branch meets and considers KSAs recommendations and make final (branch) recommendations
to the WRC Executive
• 25 October 2020 Deadline for submission of final and/ or internal (KSA) proposal evaluations and Consolidation of final (branch)
recommendations to the WRC Executive
• 4 - 6 November 2020 WRC Executive meets and considers recommendations by the Research and Development Branch and makes final selection
of proposals to be funded during the 2020/ 2020 financial year
• 16 November 2020 The outcome of the WRC Executive funding decision i.e. acceptance/rejection of proposals – are communicated to proposers
• 17 November 2020 Deadline for confirmation of acceptance of Exco funding decision by project leaders/ proposers to the WRC. Proposal
amendment period starts.
• 11 December 2020 Deadline for project leaders and/ or proposers to complete proposal amendments and comply with funding
conditions of the WRC.
4. Preparation and signing of contracts and commencement of project management activities
• 16 December 2019 The WRC verifies compliance to conditions of funding and the - 15 January 2020 prepares, finalises, signs and couriers
the contracts to the lead organisation/ contractor.
• 17 December 2020 - 17 January 2021 The WRC verifies compliance to conditions of funding and the prepares, finalises, signs and couriers the contracts to the lead organisation/ contractor.
• 29 February 2021 Lead organisation’s/ Contractor’s deadline to process, sign and return contracts to the WRC.
• 1 April 2021 The WRC funds become available for successful RDI project proposals and all approved projects commences.
• 1 April – 30 June 2021 The Project Leader submits student verification documentation i.e. student identification and official
proof of registration, to the WRC.
Proposal User Guide and Timelines Documents
Please click on the links below to view the applicable document to assist in the proposal submissions
- 2020 WRC Proposal Submission Cycle Document
- 2020 Annual Call Document
- 2019 Research Guidelines
- BMS User Guidelines
Declaration of Interest
Please download the form below to use in your proposal submission
New and Old Users
All users(Proposers,Reviewers, Project Leaders and Reference Group Members) who intend to submit new research proposals for the first time to the WRC must use the BMS (Business Management System). Click on the link below to start the process.
For all the users who still have proposals running on the old system, kindly continue using the old FMS link: